Saturday, April 17, 2010

Document Like Never Before...EVER!



As I was cleaning out my scrapping room yesterday, I found the stack of pictures from various events that didn't "make the cut" to be on a 12x12 layout for my kids' albums. I flipped through them and thought of how much they had grown and how special they were. Then I was struck with a realization. This stack of pictures would be shoved in a box and set aside, probably not to be seen again until I was dead since my kids will have their personal libraries of albums to reflect upon and share with their posterity.

But what stuck with me most was that through the genealogical work of my mom I have access to a handful of pictures of my ancestors. We on the other hand, are raising a generation of kids who will be the most well documented group of humans in history...EVER. Moments that were impossible to catch 100 years ago, or even 30 years ago are being recorded. Take for example the ultrasound pictures we all take for granted, or how many of you moms photographed or even kept your positive pregnancy tests! I even kept the tape from the monitor for my contractions during labor!

During spring break, my mom and I sifted through old family pictures. And I loved seeing her as a kid (mostly to make fun of her horn-rimmed cat-eye glasses at age 3!) but what I found fascinating was that the limited number of pictures were all posed, standing looking dead into the camera. Whereas, I have hundreds and soon to be thousands of pictures that are not a portrait one. The snapshot is the new historical record of our children. Without the limitations of film, we can shoot 300 pictures of a birthday party and not even hesitate to print half of them off! We take pictures and movies of our kids on our phones and then post them across the globe.

This amazing and historical record keeping method is something of which you should take full advantage. Make sure your family's history isn't left out of the monumental social record that will be looked upon and researched 100's of years from now. So ladies, get out your pictures and all that paper...get in that room and SCRAP!

4 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. Yes, you have a box that will grow into boxes that didn't make the 12x12 page cut, but keep them! They are still part of the history. Those babies of yours will grow up and have fun just like you did going though those pictures of me growing up!! The scrapbook albums are great and so a moment here and a moment there, but to me, there is nothing more fun than going through the boxes I have tucked away of you and Jennifer!! You need to go through those the next time you are here!! Then, you can laugh at the clothes I put you in!! Love you best, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought of being a columnist or submitting to any websites? You write very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dead fish (aka jeff) it was all those hours spend on the AHS newspaper that really refined my skills ;). Thanks for the compliment though. ( I am assuming there is no sarcasm in your post)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her first dream was to be a broadcast journalist!! Then it changed to teach English in Russia!! Glad she settled for Texas Tech to meet that great husband!!!

    ReplyDelete